Raining, Training

It's raining again in the Boston area. As of the end of June we were 11 inches of rain above normal for the year.

As I write this, we are under a flash flood warning ... here is an extract from the text
RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO AVERAGE BETWEEN 1 AND 2 INCHES ACROSS THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. HOWEVER... WHERE LOCALLY HEAVY THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOP ISOLATED LOCATIONS MAY RECEIVE 4 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN IN JUST 2 HOURS!

Between a childcare hiccup and this rain, I will not be riding today, and probably not tomorrow morning either. Oh, well, back to the Nordic Track ski machine.

Several of my readers have offered thoughts on my training goals.

Jason Glasgow did the 2006 Israel Ride, and notes:
Riding for an hour on a spinning machine, 5 minutes up, 5 minutes down is GREAT exercise and I think, very close to the experience of riding outside. Leading up to the [Israel] ride, which was mostly 60 mile days, I found that riding once a week for 40 miles, once a week for 25, combined with 1 hours sessions on the spinning machine 3 days a week was plenty of preparation for the Israel ride. Your mileage may vary. I don't know how a recumbent alters the exercise equation. Probably not much.

David Harlow is an avid cyclist as well, and pointed me to the Pan-Mass Challenge training website, of which he comments "the level of detail and seriousness is almost comical."

I also found some websites, including http://www.cptips.com/mileage.htm and http://readytoride.biz/?m=200604. Some are scarier than others. One mentions over-training - but that only applies to top-level athletes - no chance of that here!

I did check the box on the Hazon ride registration form for a training coach. This is someone who will call me every couple of weeks and give me some calm advice and encouragement. I look forward to that.


No comments: